ADHS Archives

April 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Apr 2001 19:39:41 +0200
Steve --
        To start with: As noted in a previous post, there's the
"Grandiose survey of Chinese alcoholic drinks and beverages",
http://ocean.wxuli.edu.cn/wine/umain.htm -- and Cherrington's Standard
Encyclopedia of the Alcohol Problem, which I remember was quite detailed
on China, for instance.
        Mac and Leslie Marshall did a nice review of historical studies
of alcohol in Oceania, reprinted in M Marshall, ed., Beliefs, behaviors
& Alcoholic Beverages, U. Michigan Press, 1979.
        Not historical, but maybe a start: "country profiles" on India
and Malaysia in: L. Riley & M. Marshall, eds., Alcohol & Public Health
in 8 Developing Countries. Geneva: WHOWHO/HSC/SAB 99.9, 1999.  And there
are four chapters reviewing material on contemporary patterns in
different parts of Asia in Marcus Grant, ed., Alcohol & Emerging
Markets, Philadelphia: Brunner/Maazel, 1998.
        For India, there is a lot of history in English in the report of
the central government commission on prohibition from the 1950s (as I
remember; I don't have it handy).  Robin