ADHS Archives

October 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin G W Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 2006 07:32:27 +0200
David & David --
   For what it is worth, there is James Graham's Secret History of Alcoholism:
http://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Alcoholism-Alcoholoics-
Destructive/dp/1852308915
It seems to have been published also under another title:
http://www.mlode.com/~ra/ra8/alcoholism.htm
http://www.jamesgraham.bz/pages/4/index.htm
   The drinking patterns of politicians etc. are actually an interesting test
of the limits of availability/price elasticity models.  In many times and
places, they have essentially unlimited access to free alcohol.  SDo the
interesting question becomes, what proportion "go off the rails" under those
circumstances?  (And does the proportion vary by culture, gender, etc.; and how
is "going off the rails" defined for the rich and powerful?)
   There has been some public mention along the way of the extent to which AA
networks among politicians have played a role in alcohol treatment polciies --
e.g., in the issue of Alcohol Health & Research World celebrating the 25th
anniversary of NIAAA.  I have seen some stuff in dissertations, also, and had
some conversations over the years about the hidden role of informal AA caucuses
in US state legistlatures.
    Robin

n 2006-10-03, at 00:04, Courtwright, David wrote:
> Dear David,
>
> This is a very good question. I have sporadically been collecting information
on cigarette smoking and tobacco-related illnesses among American political
elites in the mid-twentieth century. (It's easier to find this material because
smoking was then less stigmatized than drinking, and its pretty hard to hide
emphysema and lung cancer.) But I don't know of any systematic prosopographical
study of drinking patterns in Congress. For what it's worth, books like Caro's
multi-volume LBJ bio contain many anecdotes of drinking--what you'd expect in a
clubby, homosocial environment.