ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
bruce erickson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:02:59 -0800
I wonder if Stuart McCook could be persuaded to share
his syllabus - on or off line.

I find that my freshman World Civ students pop awake
for the lectures about changing consumption patterns
for coffee and alcohol during the industrial
revolution. Likewise, discussions of chocolate and
(legally defined) drugs seem to make the connections
between international economics, global politics, and
everyday life more real to them.

I teach a course called: "Drug Wars and International
Politics" and have considered courses revolving around
coffee, chocolate, sugar etc. These kinds of course
draw many students who register for the wrong reasons
but stick around for the right ones.

Bruce A. Erickson
Le Moyne College