ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 1999 23:46:53 -0400
As an aside...
An article in either Utne Reader or New Yorker (probably Utne) talked about
how weak rankings on Amazon.com are.  A little experiment in which an
author purchased a book here and there resulted in huge jumps in rankings.
I'll try to dig up the article, but it's under piles of other papers (which
are in turn under piles of other papers.  You all know the routine!)
Cheers

Dan Malleck

At 08:03 AM 10/17/99 -0400, you wrote:
>I have forwarded this Kettil Bruun Society post by Ron Roizen as perhaps of
>interest to ATHG subscribers.  Maybe some of you will explore the position
>on the Amazon rankings of your own books or ones that you regard as
>important.
>
>I live in Ohio, a state which recently has developed an advanced Internet
>database which includes almost all academic and most public libraries.  The
>database--called OhioLink--enables users such as myself to place ILL
>directly and get most books at a campus library site within two or three
>days.  The relevant feature of OhioLink is that it lets me see how many
>copies of a book there are in institutional libraries in a state with
>almost eleven million people and a disproportionate number of universities
>granting a history Ph.D. degree (and so presumably buying a lot of history
>books).  It is chastening to see how few copies there are of so-many of the
>standard titles in the field.  Obviously, Amazon represents something
>different, personal book purchases.
>

>>From: Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: Exploring Amazon.com's sales rankings--regarding a few alcohol
books
>>Sender: Kettil Bruun Society <[log in to unmask]>
>>Approved-by: Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
>>To: [log in to unmask]
>>
>>Amazon.com tells you the sales rank of individual books.  That's
>>interesting but the figure has has so many biases and problems that it may
>>seem hardly worth assembling the ranks for alcohol books.  For one, the
>>hardcover and paperback editions get separate rankings (I've
>>taken the paperback, where available).  Some books are old, and the sales
>>are presumably
>>simply a measure of their enduring readerships; some books are so new that
>>their full sales aren't
>>reflected in these early numbers/rankings.   To top it off, we don't know
>>of course how
>>many actual sales an Amazon ranking actually corresponds to.  My list is
>>far, far, far from
>>complete, too -- and in fact one of the lessons of the exercise is just how
>>very many self-help and recovery books there are out there.  Nevertheless,
>>and despite all the pitfalls, here is an informal listing of Amazon sales
>>ranks as of this evening, Oct. 16, 1999.  There were some hints at lessons
>>and some vague surprises, I thought.  (Ranks/books in parentheses are
>>non-alcohol books thrown in for the sake of comparison.)
>>
>>SALES RANK
>>
>>          (3     Rowling, Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban)
>>       (293    Strunk & White's Elements of Style)
>>       (327    Sobel, Longitude)
>>       (484    Kuhn, Structure of Scientific Revolutions)
>>        562    Melody Beattie's Co-dependent No More
>>     1,308    Woititz, Adult Children of Alcoholics
>>    (4,639    Foucault, Discipline & Punish)
>>    (5,554    Steinbeck, Cannery Row)
>>    (6,882    Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents)
> [...]

"It is not because things are difficult that we do not try them, it is
because we do not try them that they are difficult."  --Seneca