ADHS Archives

March 2009

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
James Nicholls <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Feb 2009 20:27:00 -0000
I may have missed some posts too - but has anyone mentioned James Joyce yet?  A fair few stories from the Dubliners and the second half of Ulysses (I'll leave others to comment on Finnegan's Wake...!).  There's a great drunk scene in George Orwell's Keep the Aspidistra Flying.  Also, Patrick Hamilton's Hangover Square.  Kingsley Amis's Lucky Jim might have the best hangover scene of the lot. On the flipside, Marie Correli's Wormwood is a brilliantly melodramatic attack on the myth of the absinthe-soaked genius.

James Nicholls