ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Stephen Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Oct 1999 17:28:42 -0500
FYI

Date: Fri, 22 Oct 1999 16:29:32 -0500
From: "Kriste Lindenmeyer, Tennessee Technological University"
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ANN: Women and Social Movements Website

From: Kathryn Kish Sklar <[log in to unmask]>

Over the past two years, we have been developing a Worldwide Web site
that we hope will be of interest to teachers and students in U.S. Women's
History.  The site is "Women and Social Movements in the United States,
1830-1930," and consists of editorial projects of primary documents that
speak to the history of women in reform movements in the U.S.  We now have
a sizable body of documents--17 projects with roughly 320 documents--along
with some graphics, links to other educational sites in
women's history, and a search engine that makes material on the site quite
accessible.  We are hoping  the materials will be valuable in high school
and college courses in history.  The URL for the site is:

http://womhist.binghamton.edu

We encourage faculty to use the primary documents for reading assignments
in their courses or for possible student paper topics.  We would also be
very grateful if subscribers would add the site to online lists of links in
the fields of U.S. and Women's History.  The site has recently been
selected by the NEH-sponsored site, EDSITEment, as a top website
in the Humanities and it will be getting some added
visibility from that source.  Binghamton undergraduates are currently
working on new projects for the site and the site will add another 8-10
editorial projects during the upcoming spring semester.  We would be
pleased to hear from users of the site with suggestions for additional
editorial projects.  Also, faculty who develop assignments based on the
site should send us copies which we will consider for a new "teachers'
corner" to be added next summer.  Any other comments or suggestions for
the site are very welcome.  We look forward to being in touch further as
subscribers to H-Women have a chance to explore the site more fully.

Kitty Sklar and Tom Dublin
Department of History
SUNY-Binghamton

Kathryn Kish Sklar, Distinguished Professor of History, State University of
New York, Binghamton,  New York, 13902.  Phones:  (office) 607-777-6202;
(home) 570-663-2339.  FAX:  570-663-2409.  email:  [log in to unmask]
Website on Women and Social Movements in the U.S., 1830-1930:
http://womhist.binghamton.edu