ADHS Archives

August 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Janet Golden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Aug 1995 17:26:44 EDT
I recently began some research in the folklore collection at the Library of
Congress.  Several of the collections have some interesting interviews that
may be useful to members of the ATHG.  The collection Italian Americans in
the West contains a number of oral interviews with individuals who have
worked in small family wineries for many generations --including during
Prohibition.  The interviews from the Maine collection have a lot of
references to liquor smuggling from Canada, and the West Virginia interviews
have some discussion about moonshine and also an interview with a former
revenue agent.  I don't know if these interviews are well known to members of
this group--I just began to work in alcohol and temperance history--but I
found the interviews fascinating.

Janet Golden