ADHS Archives

March 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Kris E Inwood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Mar 1996 11:47:57 -0500
Michael Martin makes a number of interesting comments. I am struck by the
assertion that
  By the mid 19th century, consumption levels had in fact dropped ...

How firmly do we know actual levels of alcohol consumption at different
dates in various jurisdictions, all of which produced grains and other
products which could be transformed into alcohol in small quantities?
And in particular for British North America, which remained rural very
late and whose borders were remarkaby permeable?

Kris Inwood, Economics,
University of Guelph