ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Roderick Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Oct 1999 11:14:00 EDT
From: Rod Phillips, History, Carleton University, Ottawa

Last week Geoffrey Giles pointed to the difficulty he had experienced
obtaining copies of Blocker and Warsh (eds), The Changing Face of Drink.
This alarmed me because I plan to use the book in a course that starts in
January, so I contacted the publisher at the University of Ottawa (about
two kilometers from Carleton) and forwarded Professor Giles's comments.

I received this reply:

> Dear Professor Phillips,
>
>       Thank you for your enquiry regarding The Changing Face of Drink,
> edited by Blocker and Warsh, published by Les publications Histoire
> sociale - Social History Inc. You may be interested to know that the
> copies of this book sent to the University of Florida in Gainsville
> were shipped October 5 in response to an order that had been placed
> by telephone in September. I did not receive an order from the
> bookstore in July; I have been through all the files checking to make
> sure that I had not overlooked a fax or other message.
>
> Sincerely,
> Valerie Kremer
> editorial coordinator
> Histoire sociale - Social History

Clearly there's a problem here, but who knows where it's located. For
what it's worth, Ms Kremer went on to assure me that copies are
available.  I've found this a good volume of essays, and I hope that
any difficulties in responding to orders have been sorted out.

Roderick Phillips
Editor, Journal of Family History/
Professor, Department of History
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 ext 2824; fax: (613) 520-2819
Email address: [log in to unmask]