ADHS Archives

July 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Janet Golden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 13:28:25 EDT
Those interested in the alcopops story should turn to Part B [Metro Section]
of today's New York Times for an article on the new wice cold fruit-flavored
malt liquor sold frozen is soft plastic pouches, and aimed, we are assured by
its manufacturers, "stricktly at adults."  Next on the horizon, the article
reports are (I kid you not) are alcoholic beer flavored popsicles.

I have to wonder how manufacturers plan to wean a generation reared on
alcopops off these sweet and cheap substances and on to more expensive and
less sweet products.  It would seem to me to be a rather big leap from say,
beer popsicles to single malt scotch, although I can't claim to have tasted
the former.

Janet Golden, Ph.D.
History Department
Rutgers-Camden