ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 12:09:34 -0500
from David M. Fahey
Miami University (Ohio)

Here is a description of a course taught at my university with history
and international studies credit.

HST/IES F112 First Year Seminar: Coffee and Globalization–Past and
Present Drink that “Transformed Our World”-- MWF 11:00-11:50
Dr. Robert Thurston and Dr. Sandra Woy-Hazelton
MP Historical Perspective

Since the seventeenth century, coffee’s impact around the world has
been huge. The second-most valuable commodity traded legally around the
globe today, coffee is an ideal vehicle through which to study key
aspects of European, American, and non-western development. Coffee was
one of the first bulk items sought after by Europeans, and it was
intimately linked to the growth of imperialism and unfree labor from
Indonesia to Latin America. The history of coffee and its use is one of
the best examples of globalization’s long, deep roots. A close look at
commodities like coffee and sugar reveals much about the growth of
early capitalism and how it depended as much on romanticized images of
spaces and products as on careful calculations of profit and loss.