ADHS Archives

June 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ian Tyrrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Jun 1999 10:52:57 +1000
I have already replied to Elaine Parsons privately but for general
information, there is a brief discussion of ante-bellum temperance
vigilantism before the Civil War in my "Women and Temperance in Ante-Bellum
America," Civil War History, vol. 28, Summer 1982, esp. 142-44. One of the
sources for that was the widely available (on microfilm) Lily magazine,
edited by Amelia Bloomer.

Re: Frances Willard, A New Calling for Women, as referred to by Elaine. In
1981 there was a copy of this in the Willard Library in Evanston, Illinois.
I would check the National Union Catalogue for pre-1956 imprints for any
other holdings in the US.

Ian Tyrrell