ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Geoffrey Giles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 12:24:37 -0400
Let me first say that I do not find it very appropriate for outsiders to be
publishing THEIR investigations of MY book orders in this forum.  I often
wish that the ATHG listserv had an editor to vet items (like the
subscribe/unsubscribe notices that are circulated to everyone).

I wish to close this whole discussion by stating the following:
1) I have great confidence in the efficiency of my bookstore owner, who has
always managed to obtain books as quickly as possible (unlike rival
bookstores in town)
2) He has told me that the people at the publishers of Blocker/Warsh are
friendly and helpful, but did not know what went wrong
3) Someone somewhere has screwed up the order--the bottom line is that, six
weeks before the semester is over, I still do not have the books
4) I learnt yesterday from the bookshop that my books are languishing
somewhere in New Jersey (thank heavens for parcel tracking!) in a box that
had been broken into, and from which the address label had been removed.

Evidently the Blocker/Warsh volume has become such a hot commodity that
people are resorting to desperate measures to get hold of copies, even
apparently hijacking shipments!
Hmm!  New Jersey!?  Eh, Dr. Watson?  I would not be surprised if the folks
at the Rutgers Center had a hand in this!!!

Best wishes,
Geoffrey Giles

Professor Geoffrey J. Giles

Department of History