ADHS Archives

February 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 10:58:03 -0500
Sarah:
   Harry Levine, The Committee of Fifty and the origins of alcohol control,
Journal of Drug Issues 13:95-116, 1983.

See also:
   Harry Gene Levine, The birth of American alcohol control: prohibition,
the power elite, and the problem of lawlessness, Contemporary Drug
Problems 12:63-115, 1985.

   The Committee of Fifty sponsored much that was innovative and
imaginative -- e.g., John Billings' survey of alcohol use by "brain
workers" -- but its most enduring product, in my view, was Raymond
Caulkins' Substitutes for the Saloon.  Anyone looking at this needs to look
at both editions, since some stuff in the first edition was dropped in the
second, and there's a new preface at least in the second.  There are
also byproducts from the various sociologists and social workers this
product energized -- e.g., papers in the early American Journal of
Sociology on the Chicago saloon by (if I remember right) Roy Melendy.
Madelon Powers (Faces along the Bar: Lore and Order in the
Workingman's Saloon, 1870-1920, PhD History, UC Berkeley, 1991) and
others who have written on the turn-of-the-century saloon must use the
Commitee of Fifty's work.
    -- Robin

>>> Sarah Tracy <[log in to unmask]> 02/24/97 09:56am >>>

Subject:      committee of fifty

Dear ATHG:

I am looking for any secondary literture on the Committee of Fifty, the
panel of doctors, business people, clerics, social reformers,
physiologists, etc. who studied the drink problem between 1893 and
1903. I was sure that at least one person had written an article about
this group, but I can't find the reference to this (imagined?) piece. I am
familiar with the series of publications written by various sub-committees
of the
COF, but would like to know if there's any secondary material out there.
Thanks for any help you may be able to provide.

Sarah Tracy
______
Sarah Tracy
Research Associate