ADHS Archives

December 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Dec 2006 10:12:42 -0500
With the permission of Carolyn N Biltoft, I post a query originally
sent to me.

The title of my paper is "Conspicuous Abstention: alcohol in the
inter-war global economy."   Essentially my thesis is that as much as
the inter-war period is often defined as a moment in which the
tendency towards "conspicuous consumption" crystallizes on a mass
scale, we might understand the movements to limit, prohibit, or
"abstain" from the consumption of alcohol equally as as a
political/cultural symbol as well as an economic strategy in the
inter-war world order. I mostly work from published sources now, but i
am in Geneva Switzerland on a Gallatin Fellowship and in addition to
doing my dissertation research [on a different topic] in the League of
Nations Archives, I am also taking notes on anything related to
international economic conferences, anti-alcohol campaigns, and liquor
traffic more generally.  So my questions are A.) do you think this is
a viable article and B.) do you know of any other archival sources
which i must look at...for instance do you know where the papers of
the world prohibition federation etc. are located?   I hope you don't
mind me asking you!  I so admire your work and your wisdom on H-world
more generally.  I would be so greatful for any advice/insight you
could give me. Thank you.

Carolyn N. Biltoft