ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Mar 2005 18:16:35 -0500
John Burnett, Liquid Pleasures (1999), notes the irony that a
commercial market in bottled drinking water flourishes at a time and in
places where safe drinking water is available from the tap.  We can
debate why, but at least part of the explanation has to be that the
consumers of bottled water have the means to pay for it.  People with
money seem anxious to find ways to spend it in ways that confirm their
status.  At least in the USA, smoking is unfashionable, maybe the only
legal drug that is dismissed as lower class.