ADHS Archives

October 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Roderick Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 13:40:26 EDT
From: Rod Phillips, History, Carleton University, Ottawa

Like Professor Giles, I have no desire to continue the correspondence
on the problems he has had getting copies of the Blocker/Warsh book.
But because I am presumably the "outsider" whom he castigates for a
"very inappropriate" investigation of the problem, I think I might
be allowed one more contribution.

I was alarmed by Professor Giles's initial message regarding his
inability to obtain copies of this volume.  I have had a similar
problem this year with books ordered for a different course through our
university bookstore, and I didn't want a repeat next semester with
Changing Face of Drink.

I contacted the publisher of Changing Faces of Drink not because I had
nothing else to do, but out of self-interest and also in a spirit
of collegiality.  Professor Giles had earlier furnished me with data for
some research I was doing, and I thought I might be able to throw some
light on the whereabouts of his missing books.  At the time he wrote, he
had been unable to determine if they had been shipped or not.

Professor Giles intimated that there had been difficulty getting hold of
someone in the publisher's office, and because I am very close, it was easy
enough for me to contact them. I circulated the result, and the publisher
has now circulated its own statement.  The publisher, by the way, obtained
the ATHG address on its own.

As I made clear in my earlier message, it is impossible and pointless
to attribute responsibility.  Quite possibly the order was sent but never
received. Things sometimes seem to disappear on the trip across the border.
More than once would-be contributors to the journal I edit have inquired
about manuscripts I have not received. In the present case it would
clearly be inappropriate to call into question the integrity of either the
publisher in Ottawa or the bookstore in Ottawa.

I'm sorry that Professor Giles found my attempt to clarify the situation
regarding his missing books offensive.  When he first wrote he had no idea
whether or not they had been shipped.  At least he now knows where they
are, even if they're not where he wants them.

I'm quite happy to close this discussion now, with an apology to Professor
Giles for having tried to clarify a situation he brought to our attention.

Rod Phillips

Roderick Phillips
Editor, Journal of Family History/
Professor, Department of History
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 ext 2824; fax: (613) 520-2819
Email address: [log in to unmask]