ADHS Archives

December 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Dec 1996 08:57:00 -0800
You wrote:

>To whom it may concern,
>I am keen to join your subscription list for the Alcohol and temperance
>history group.  I am doing my Masters thesis on women and the liquor
>industry on the Central Otago (NZ) goldfields, 1861-1901.  What do you need
>me to do to join?
>Yours sincerely, Sandra Quick

Dear Sandra,

Thank you for your interest in the Alcohol and Temperance
History Group (ATHG)!

Membership, Officers, Dues:

ATHG's approximately 160 current members are historians,
anthropologists, epidemiologists, sociologists, and other
scholars and scientists in North America and abroad who share
a common interest in the social history of alcohol.  The
current president is Patricia E. Prestwich, Professor of
History and Classics, University of Alberta (see below for
address info for all current ATHG officers).

ATHG's current Secretary-Treasurer is Ron Roizen.  Annual
dues--US$15.00 for individuals in North America and US$20.00
for non-North Americans and institutions--should be sent to
him.  ATHG's "dues year" follows the academic calendar,
running from October to September.

SHAR:

ATHG publishes a scholarly journal/newsletter, _Social History
of Alcohol Review_ (SHAR), edited by W. Scott Haine.  This
periodical helps members and other subscribers stay abreast of
developments within the Group and in the alcohol & temperance
history field.  SHAR also goes out to about 40 subscribing
libraries.  SHAR publishes book reviews, review essays,
letters from officers, new citations/abstracts in the
literature, bibliographies, and news items.  (Back
issues of SHAR may be ordered from Richard Hamm.)

AHA Affiliation:

The Alcohol and Temperance History Group is an affiliate of
the American Historical Association (AHA).  Affiliate status
allows ATHG to sponsor a session at the AHA's annual meetings,
which occur in January during the first weekend after the new
year's start.  ATHG members attending the AHA meetings also
hold an informal breakfast meeting, usually on Sunday morning.

International Congresses:

ATHG has staged two international congresses.  The first was
held in Berkeley, California in 1984; the second in London,
Ontario in 1993.  Many papers delivered at the Berkeley
conference were later published in a volume edited and
introduced by Susanna Barrows and Robin Room (Drinking:
Behavior and Belief in Modern History, University of
California Press: Berkeley, Los Angeles, Oxford, 1991).
Selected papers delivered at the London conference were later
published in special issues of Histoire Sociale/Social History
and Contemporary Drug Problems.

Listserve Group:

Some ATHG members (and a good many non-members as well)
communicate with one another from time to time via an
un-moderated internet listserve or discussion group, ATHG-L,
maintained by David Fahey.  The listserve's email address is:

To subscribe, send an email to [log in to unmask]
Leave the subject field blank, and place the following line in
the body of the message:

SUBSCRIBE ATHG-L [your first name] [your last name]

A welcome letter will come to your electronic mail box giving
you further instructions.

WWW Page:

ATHG also maintains a World Wide Web Home Page at:

http://www.cohums.ohio-state.edu/history/athgroup/default.htm

K. Austin Kerr is its webmaster.

Dues Payment & Brief Account of Interests:

Should you wish to join ATHG please:  (1) make your dues
payment in U.S. dollars and (2) provide me at some point with a
very brief description of your particular interests relating
to alcohol and temperance history.

Please do not hesitate to write, email, or call if you'd like
more info on ATHG.

With kindest regards,

Sincerely,

Ron Roizen