ADHS Archives

October 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Oct 2004 08:38:15 -0400
May I ask for help as I explore the possibility of teaching (for
undergraduates) a course on alcohol and drugs in world history?
Suggestions re paperbacks?  Suggestions for excerpts from books and
articles?  If anybody has a related syllabus for similar or more
focused courses, I would be grateful to see it.  To the best of my
knowledge, the only broad survey is Courtwright's Forces of Habit which
is available in paperback.  I have not read Escohotado's A Brief
History of Drugs, also available in paperback. (Gina Hames is a writing
a global history of alcohol, but presumably it won't be available for
some time.)  At my university students have electronic access to the
ABC-Clio encyclopedia on the modern history of alcohol and temperance.
We also have what is called electronic reserve, password-protected
postings of articles and no more than 10% of copyrighted books.