ADHS Archives

May 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Tue, 2 May 1995 14:39:04 -500
Somebody asked for a list of the titles of the papers in my senior
seminar on drink & temperance in English-speaking countries.  First,
I should say that, while reasonably satisfied, I think that I should
pressed students to choose topics where the Miami library had strong
resources (e.g., much WCTU microfilm).  Second, I regret that my
students focused almost exclusively on United States history for
their papers (and in the exception, a comparative paper, chose to
make the comparisons with non-English-speaking countries).  Finally,
the quality is that of the proverbial curate's egg, some parts good
and others much less so.  (The order of the following papers is
alphabetical by the omitted authors' names.)

The Movements within a Movement: the Rhetoric and Propaganda of the
Temperance Movement

Codependence: the History of Beer Sales at Baseball Games and How the
Two Industries Became So Dependent on One Another

Why Americans Drink Bad Beer: A Historical Review of the Beer
Drinking Habits of Americans from Colonial America to the Present [by
a brew-pub enthusiast]

The Massachusetts Society for the Supression of Intemperance Leads
the Way

Temperance Activity in Early to Mid-Nineteenth Century American
Freemasonry

Alcohol and Advertising in Twentieth-Century America: A Historical
Perspective

Bill Wilson: Character Flaws of a Healer

A Helping Hand: Fr. Mathew's Teetotal Crusade

A Cultural and Social Approach to Alcohol: Drinking Customs and
Beliefs of the United States, Italy, and France

College Drinking: A Traditional Problem

Women Roles of the Temperance Movement in America: A Historical
Account

The Salvation Army: A Crusade against Drink

These are undergraduate papers and for the most part superficial.  At
this point I like the beer & baseball paper the most because I
learned the most from it and the writing is lively.  Oddly, the paper
says virtually nothing about the impact of state and federal
prohibition and repeal which at one point was (I thought) the paper's focus.

David M. Fahey
History Department
Miami University
Oxford, OH 45056-1618, USA