ADHS Archives

October 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jim Baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 11:33:17 -0400
dear cathy.  there is a substantial literature on the washingtonians and a
smaller literature on the non-prohibitionist groups that followed in their
footsteps and founded some of the earliest treatment facilities for
alcoholics.  a good place to start is with bill white's SLAYING THE DRAGON:
THE HISTORY OF ADDICTION TREATMENT AND RECOVERY IN AMERICA.  this has a
good bibliography of primary and secondary sources.  in addition to ian
tyrrell's book, the washingtonians are also treated in blumberg and
pittman's BEWARE THE FIRST DRINK, and an interesting take (often overlooked
by temperance scholars) can be found in sean wilentz's CHANTS DEMOCRATIC.
there is also a journal article on washingtonian women, the citation for
which escapes me at the moment.  but start with white's bibliography.  if
you have trouble finding the book, email bill at [log in to unmask] (three
l's is correct).  jb