ADHS Archives

September 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Roderick Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Sep 1998 11:06:57 EDT
This is a general statement of thanks to the list members who provided
information on courses on the history of alcohol.  My proposal for a
12-week course on the subject at third-year level at Carleton University
has been accepted by the committees that register new courses. I will
teach it for the first time in 1999-2000.

For your information, the course will appear in the Calendar thus:

                        * * *

THE SOCIAL HISTORY OF ALCOHOL

This course will study alcohol in Western society from Ancient times to
the present with emphasis on the post-Medieval period.  The principal
themes to be studied are the production, trade, and consumption of alcohol
(beer, wine, spirits); its religious and social significance; the
relationship of alcohol to class, gender and health; cultures of drinking;
and policies toward drinking, drunkenness and alcoholism.  Specific topics
include trends in alcohol preference, global expansion of wine, temperance
movements, and prohibition.

                        * * *

There's a general expectation that there will be a lot of interest in the
course and it will probably be scheduled for the evening so as to allow
people from outside the university to take or audit it.  We hope to plug
into the great interest in alcohol, especially wine, in Ottawa. There are
several wine appreciation courses available in the city and currently more
than 1200 people are enrolled in the sommelier certificate course offered
by one of the community colleges.

Again, my thanks to those who gave me advice and information.

Rod Phillips

Roderick Phillips
Editor, Journal of Family History/
Professor, Department of History
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 ext 2824; fax: (613) 520-2819
Email address: [log in to unmask]