ADHS Archives

December 2007

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Dec 2007 09:55:06 -0500
My reading of nineteenth-century American literature and periodicals
has taught me two things. If there was a law, it could be widely
ignored. America was not much of a police state, especially before the
Civil War, and the decision to serve minors or not serve minors would
be something that the tavernkeeper would often make under no or some or
great scrutiny from his immediate community (and constituency and/or
customer base).

It also appears to me that children were often sent to fetch alcoholic
drinks for their parents. A child who makes regular runs to a bar-room
or pharmacy to purchase something for his parents would have no trouble
purchasing the same for his own use. There's no doubt, for me, that
some lazy parents would resist the enforcement of a minimum purchase
age on this count alone: it would mean that they would have to go get
their own buckets of beer or quarts of Lydia Pinkham.

Jon Miller