ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
RON ROIZEN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Feb 1995 11:46:23 EST
Hi Michelle:  Don't know if the following will help much.
I have a filing cabinet filled with the selected debris of
years of collecting--all of it indexed on a computer file.
So I just ran through that computer index with a couple of
keywords, on your behalf.  Robin Room's paper (see below)
is not clinical but should prove useful nevertheless--even
if only for its refs.  Many of the items listed below are
NOT historical--but I'm including them anyhow on the
chance of relevance nevertheless.  Kaye Fillmore's paper
is one of my favorites because it explores the mythology
of women's drinking via the discrepancy between popular
beliefs and survey epidemiology.  Incidentally, I can't
recall ever actually seeing a copy of Florence Ridlon's
book--so I can't vouch for it but include it nevertheless:

Room, Robin, "Cultural Contingencies of Alcoholism:
Varitions Between and Within Nineteenth-Century Urban
Ethnic Groups in Alcohol-Related Death Rates," Journal of
Health and Social Behavior 9:99-113, 1968./// Rosenzweig,
Roy, Eight Hours for What We Will: Workers and Leisure in
an Industrial City, 1870-1920, New York: Cambridge
University Press, 1983./// Murphy, Teresa Anne, Ten Hours'
Labor: Religion, Reform, and Gender in Early New England,
Ithaca and London: Cornell University Press, 1992(?).///
Fillmore, Kaye Middleton, "'When Angels Fall': Women's
Drinking as Cultural Preoccupation and as Reality," pp.
7-36 in Wilsnack, Sharon C., and Beckman, Linda J.,
(eds.), Alcohol Problems in Women: Antecedents,
Consequences, and Intervention, New York and London: The
Guilford Press, 1980./// Hunt, G.; Mellor, J.; and Turner,
J., "Wretched, hatless and miserably clad: women and the
inebriate reformatories from 1900-1913, British Journal of
Sociology 40(?):244-270, 19??./// Nicolaides, Becky,
"History of Women and Alcohol in the United States: An
Overview," SWRL-AHP draft report, 13 May 1992./// Baumohl,
Jim, and Room, Robin, "Inebriety, Doctors, and the State:
Alcoholism Treatment Institutions before 1940," pp.
135-174 in Marc Galanter (ed.), Recent Developments in
Alcoholism, Vol. 5, New York:  Plenum, 1987./// Klee,
Linnea; Schmidt, Catherine; Ames, Genevieve, "Indicators
of Women's Alcohol Problems: What Women Themselves
Report," International Journal of the Addictions
26:879-895, 1991./// Klee, Linnea, and Ames, Genevieve,
"Reevaluating Risk Factors for Women's Drinking: A Study
of Blue-Collar Wives," Am J Prev Med 3:31-41, 1987.///
Lender, Mark Edward, "A Special Stigma: Women and
Alcoholism in the Late 19th and Early 20th Centuries," pp.
41-57 in Strug, David L. et al. (eds.), Alcohol
Interventions: Historical and Sociological Approaches, New
York and London: The Haworth Press, 1986./// Ridlon,
Florence V., A Fallen Angel: The Status Insularity of the
Female Alcoholic, Cranbury, NJ: Bucknell University Press,
1988./// Schmidt, Catherine; Klee, Linnea; Ames,
Genevieve, "Review and analysis of literature on
indicators of women's drinking problems," BJA 85:179-192,
1990./// Scida, Joan, and Vannicelli, Marsha, "Sex-Role
Conflict and Women's Drinking," Journal of Studies on
Alcohol 40:28-44, 1979.///

-------FORWARD, Original message follows-------

FROM:
ID: