ADHS Archives

August 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Roderick Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 14:35:37 EDT
I'm just putting the finishing touches to a short history of wine (to be
published by Penguin in the UK and US next year).  I would like to include
a graphic of known levels of per capita wine consumption over the long
term (classical period to the present).  I know these are often only
estimates based on what is known of production and/or imports and
population sizes, and I'll make those caveats clear.

What I would appreciate is any consumption figures anyone can provide (or
references to such figures).  I have quite a few for Europe 1500 onwards,
but I would welcome figures relating to any period and locality (city,
province, state, etc).

If you can help with data or references please either post them to the
group or send them directly to me.  All contributions will be
acknowledged in the book, needless to say.  Thanks in advance.

Roderick Phillips
Editor, Journal of Family History/
Professor, Department of History
Carleton University
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada K1S 5B6
Tel: (613) 520-2600 ext 2824; fax: (613) 520-2819
Email address: [log in to unmask]