ADHS Archives

May 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
David Fahey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 1995 08:37:23 EST
Austin Kerr is right, a review posted on ATHG will not be widely read since
there are only 80-plus subscribers (although it may be forwarded to other
lists); moreover ATHG has no gopher to give reviews permanence.  He is right
too about H-Net having started reviews on its affiliated lists (and I did one
for a book unrelated to ATHG).   Yet, I still welcome volunteers who want to
post book reviews despite the limitations of circulation and permanence.  The
problem with H-Net and other listserv groups is that they focus on other things
and nobody can subscribe to them all.  For instance, the only USA history list
that I subscribe to is H-South.  Probably many of our sociologist subscribers
don't subscribe to any H-Net list (the H stands for Humanities).  To the best
of my knowledge, the only indexing service for listserv groups is the volunteer
effort of subscribers forwarding posts from one listserv group that they read
to another one which they think might find the posts relevant.
  *David Fahey (Miami Univ) [log in to unmask]