ADHS Archives

September 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Bill White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 1998 10:20:07 EDT
Dan,

     I have a first edition copy of Disease of Inebriety (1893) in my personal
library and  would offer the following in response to your question.   The
title page does not list Crothers' name; instead, it reads:  "Arranged and
compiled by the American Association for the Study and Cure of Inebriety."
The copyright for the book is in the name of the AASCI.  The introduction of
the book notes a resoluition passed by the AASCI calling upon the Secretary
(Crothers) to prepare a volume "which shall contain the most reliable
conclusions and studies of eminent authorities on all phases of the disease of
inebriety up to the present time."  It further notes that, "This volume is
intended to represent the work of the AASCI and the character of the papers
and discussions which have appeared in its journal."   According to the
introduction, the articles are drawn directly from the pages of the Journal of
Inebriety.  The 38 chapters of the book appear without attribution of
authorship and, while Crothers was the author of many of these chapters, there
are other chapters clearly written by other unnamed persons. In Chapter 12,
for example, the unnamed author thanks Dr. Crothers for provided him with the
case studies that appear in the chapter.
It appears that Crothers drew some material (particularly his own writings)
directly from the Journal of Inebriety while editing other material from the
journal together into subject-themed chapters.   Your question of how to cite
this material is a good one.  I have gone back and forth between citing AASCI
and Crothers (as editor).  I have generally done the latter when I knew the
material was an elaboration of what Crothers had written in the Journal of
Inebriety.  I hope this is helpful.  Bill White