ADHS Archives

February 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
JOSEPH LUDERS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Feb 1995 10:44:22 -0500
If someone hasn't already mentioned it, there was a major inebriate
asylum in Binghamton, New York.  See Turner, J. Edward, _The History
of the First Inebriate Asylum in the World_. (New York: Arno Press,
1981). This text is a reprint of the 1888 text.  See also, New York
State Inebriate Asylum, _Ceremonies, etc_ (1859).  This book is about
the ceremonies at the laying of the asylum's cornerstone and includes
the charter and some correspondence.  For complete citations, login
to the New York Public Library's on-line catalog (nyplgate.nypl.org --
login as nypl).

As long as I'm writing to the list, I'll toss out my introduction as
well.  My name is Joseph Luders.  I'm a Ph.D. student in Political
Science at the Graduate Faculty of the New School for Social
Research.  My MA thesis -- "Collective Action and Political Economy:
The Prohibition Movement in the United States, 1869-1919" -- combines
(as the title suggests) contemporary collective action and political
economic approaches to account for spatial and temporal variations in
the development of the prohibition movement.

Joseph Luders