ADHS Archives

September 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Sep 2005 08:57:54 +0200
Catherine --
   I don't know the literature on inhaling snuff which is raw tobacco,
but it cannot be very good for you -- cancer of whatever tissues it
reaches, to start with.  My guess is that it is not more widespread
because you have to overcome some aversions -- it must be quite a trick
to learn to inhale it without sneezing, etc.
   You might turn them onto Swedish "snus" -- sucking tobacco, in a
little teabag with the nitrosamines taken out, so that it has rather
little adverse health effect (the Swedish authorities took the warning
label off it). It is banned in the rest of the EU, on the theory that it
might be attrcative to teenagers and that they might go on to cigarettes
(although what studies there suggests this doesn't really happen).
   So there is a big argument about it, with the fervent anti-tobacco
people very opposed to it, and the more harm reductionist like the
director of ASH in the UK in favour of it.  There was a set of articles
and debates about it in Addiction a couple of years ago -- look for the
name Gilljam.  The European Court decisions on the ban are fun to read
-- the Attorney-General's opinion solemnly discussing whether the
distinction between sucking tobacco (illegal in the rest of the EU) and
chewing tobacco depends on how it is actually used or on the intention
of the manufacturer -- and deciding for the intention of the
manufacturer.
   Let me know if you want more on this.
   If they really want more on health effects of inhaling snuff, I could
put a query on the OTRU list for you.
   Robin