ADHS Archives

January 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Robin Room <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2000 18:29:27 +0100
Jonathan --
    Someone here (Stockholm) gave me a very nice book about the big capsized ship, the Vasa, and its times (17th century).  It mentioned that a Swedish cure for dysentery at the time included "dragon's blood", which it said was the resin of a fruit, _calamus draco_, which grew in the Canary Islands.  I don't know if there's any connection with your "dragon's milk".  Maybe just that anything to do with dragons sounded powerful.
    Another factoid is that the Canary Islands are the most populat resort destination for present-day Swedes.  No connection here, I'm almost sure!  Robin Room