ADHS Archives

June 1995

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Maria Swora <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jun 1995 12:20:58 -0400
Hello,

I posted a similar request on another list, and I thought I'd try it here to
see what I could get.  I am currently working on my disseration in
anthropology, and my subject is AA.  In the course of my fieldwork, I have
heard people in AA meetings say again and again "I need to remember.'
Stepping back a bit, I have noted that remembering and co-memoration are
important themes in AA, intersecting both personal recovery ("I forgot I am
an alcoholic") and the collective identity of the fellowship as a whole.

I understand that there are some AA people that are involved in AA archives,
in the restoration and maintenance of the co-founder's homes, and other
activities that further collective memory.  Can anybody provide more
examples?  I understand people leave commemorative medalions on Bill W.'s
grave. Does anything comparable happen at Dr. Bob's grave in Akron?  Any
other examples of such memory work?

Thank you so much.  Please feel free to contact me individually:

Maria Swora
Dept. Anthropology
Univ. Rochester
Rochester NY  14627