ADHS Archives

November 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"K. Austin Kerr" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:31:14 -0500
I had the following inquiry from a reporter, and do not know the answer to
her question.  Perhaps a subscriber can help her.

Date: Mon, 04 Nov 1996 18:29:46 -0800
From: nilda rego <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: bonded wineries during prohibition
To: [log in to unmask]

Dear Mr. Kerr,
I write local history columns for my newspaper The Contra Costa Times in
Walnut Creek, Ca. I came across a June 3, 1932 story about the
destruction of 28,000 gallons of wines in a Martinez "bonded" winery.
Federal agents had found an illegal still on the property although the
presence all that wine was apparently legal. I trying to figure out, just
what a bonded winery could sell or make during the prohibition.
Thank you for any help you could give me.
My e-mail address is [log in to unmask]
Nilda Rego
75 Corte Yolanda
Moraga Ca 94556
510-283-6333

K. Austin Kerr                   e-mail [log in to unmask]
Professor of History             office (614)292-2613
Ohio State University            department  292-2674
Columbus, Ohio 43210 USA         fax    (614)292-2282