ADHS Archives

March 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:33:52 -0600
I bet the best person to ask about industry responses to temperance reform
would be Perry Duis. He's no longer working on alcohol stuff, but he has a
real command of the primary literature. In particular, he might be able to
direct you toward some of those great liquor industry newspapers.

I might also suggest that you look at some of the (rather scanty) existing
records of "Personal Liberty Leagues" from the late 19th c. I just
pulled up a few on worldcat. These were local alcohol retailers fighting
against things like civil damage acts.

I'm sure you've also looked at Jonathan Zimmerman's book on STI. He surely
would have some ideas about "anti" movements.

Good luck. Sounds interesting.

Elaine Parsons

ELAINE F PARSONS
Internet -  [log in to unmask]