ADHS Archives

February 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 08:54:14 -0800
Beth,

1.  It may be no accident that the history of drinking in college is a
territory virtually ignored in the literature.  This is a problem territory
that often gets hawked by its players as "getting worse and worse" -- a
theme that doesn't get much help from an informed historical sensibility.

2.  Start with Straus, R.; Bacon, S. Drinking in college. Westport, CT:
Greenwood Press, 1971. 221 p. (113683).  It's wonderful and it will give
you a picture of the scholarly positioning of college drinking a
half-century ago.

3.  I once collected a terrific article on college drinking in FORTUNE
MAGAZINE, from the mid- or late-1940s.  Unfortunately, I can't lay my hands
on my FORTUNE file at the moment.  This article is well worth seeking out.

Some hits on ETOH:

4.  Landesco-J. College seniors and the liquor problem. Annals of the
American Academy of Political and Social Science. Prohibition: A National
Experiment, 163(Sep):130-146, 1932. (078834)

5.  Gonzalez, G.M. Effects of raising the drinking age and related campus
initiatives on student alcohol consumption and alcohol- related problems.
Journal of College Student Development, 31(2): 181-183, 1990. (109929)

6.  Giles-G-J. Student drinking in the third reich academic tradition and
the nazi revolution. Conference on the Social History of Alcohol, Berkeley,
CA: 2 Jan - 5 Jan 1984. 21 p. (075057)

One more thing:

7.  .RR #13: WSU and the Beer Rebellion:
A Wider View* -- at http://www.roizen.com/ron/rr13.htm

Good Hunting!

Ron Roizen