ADHS Archives

February 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Caryn Neumann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 20:16:47 -0600
There has been a Pisco thread on H-Latin America
this week.  Thought this might be of interest to the
group --Caryn Neumann ([log in to unmask]

------------------------------
From: "Jacquelyn S. Kent" <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 18 Feb 1997 17:58:38 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list H-LATAM <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: REPLY:  Pisco

Date: Tue, 18 Feb 1997 14:12:37 -0600
From: "joseph r. thome" <[log in to unmask]>

Pisco is a clear liquor made from grapes (but  with a taste very different
from Brandy.) It originated around the city of Pisco, Peru, but it is also
the national hard liquor in Chile, and it is also consumed in Bolivia. In
Chile, the grapes for Pisco come mostly from the Valley of Elqui, in the
"Norte Chico" (North of Snatiago.) This is inland from LA Serena; it is the
homeland of Gabriela Mistral. Pisco is mostly consumed as "Pisco Sour" a
very tasteful cocktail which generally mixes one measure of lemom juice (the
little green lemons common in So. America, much more juicy than our lemons
but more sour than our limes), plus sugar, and in Peru, egg whites. Aged
Piscos are mostly drunk straight, and cheaper brands are ofteh mixed with
coke or other soft drinks. Enjoy!!