ADHS Archives

October 2006

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2006 23:13:24 -0400
i can't recall how i think i know this, but i believe that mccarthy was
one of several congressmen with morphine (not heroin) habits supported by
a dc pharmacist while the federal bureau of narcotics looked the other way
-- certainly with harry anslinger's knowledge. there was a fair amount of
gray-market maintenance before methadone.  much of it likely was
cancer-related, and the fbn usually tolerated it (though there were some
notable exceptions); some was connected with private sanitarium care and
was sometimes a lot shadier.  but local police didn't devote much effort
to such investigations, state boards of pharmacy had very limited
investigatory resources, and while the fbn could be exceedingly nasty, its
field staff was relatively small.

jim baumohl