ADHS Archives

March 2008

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Townend, Paul A." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 07:45:16 -0400
You might also try exploring the various public/pastoral letters and other documents of the US Catholic Bishops (individually, or in conference) during periods of particular controversy.

I have used, in passing, ("Heretical Plants of Irish Growth": Catholic Critics of Mathewite Temperance
The Catholic Historical Review - October 2005, pp. 611-632)
some of the material from the 1840s, but I'm sure it came up from time to time.

The church had a complicated position on alcohol and temperance movements, and the language may be a bit nuanced, but I think bishops articulated from time to time opposition to elements of temperance as an organized campaign.  Check German-born bishops in particular!

Paul Townend