ADHS Archives

December 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Gay Sibley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Dec 1999 16:45:22 -1000
Greetings:  My name is Gay Sibley, and I am a professor of English at the
University of Hawaii, Manoa, currently doing research on the portrayal of
alcohol in selected fictions.  I have been mostly hovering on this list,
because the facets of my research that point to alcohol are recent within
the last year, i.e. I don't know enough to contribute much.

I need a documentable source on the observable behavioral characteristics
of the closeted female alcoholic.  The lay texts seem pretty much to agree
as to what these characteristics are, and those of us who have had close
experiences with such women certainly know what they are; but I have not
been able to find a source on this subject that will work in a scholarly
article. . .so I appeal to the list.  If anyone could help me with a
suggestion or two, I'd be most grateful.

Thanks in advance.

Gay Sibley
Associate Professor of English
University of Hawaii at Manoa