ADHS Archives

October 2004

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Matthew W Osborn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 2004 08:08:02 -0700
Dear Robin,
I've been following the discussion with great interest. I read your email this morning, and then
happened to come across the following entries in the Daily Occurence Docket of the Philadelphia
Almshouse. This entry is dated July 3rd, 1800.

"Eloped Matthew Richards, and notwithstanding his being seventy years of age, scaled the fence
this Morning by break of day. He had been out but a short time, when he was brought back in a
Cart, and he has now jumped it again; said Old man is much addicted to liquor for which reason and
the disturbance he makes in the streets when in that condition, has been often put into prison; he
has been here often, and always took this method getting out; his Wife who is a striving
industrious body, but cannot live with him on account of his frequent intoxications and abuse?but
rather than he should expose himself, and his family too, in the manner he does, she obtained an
Order of Admission for him the 31st of last May from James McGlathery and James Collings on
promising them at the same time, that she would call at this house every week & pay One dollar for
his board, which she has done. Credit Southwark."

Also, on June 26th of 1800:
"Admitted Charles Knockenower a German hath legal residence is much addicted to liquor, which
occasions temporary insanity and leaves him unfit to take care of himself; he was brought here in
a very bruised condition, per Order Isaac Tatem Hopper. Debit City.?

In general I have found this usage of "addicted" to be very rare in the medical literature of the
period. But, at the Philadelphia Almshouse anyway, it seems to have been common.
Best,
Matthew Osborn