ADHS Archives

July 1997

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:07:19 -0400
At 01:28 PM 7/24/97 EDT, Janet Golden wrote:
>I have to wonder how manufacturers plan to wean a generation reared on
>alcopops off these sweet and cheap substances and on to more expensive and
>less sweet products.  It would seem to me to be a rather big leap from say,
>beer popsicles to single malt scotch, although I can't claim to have tasted
>the former.

On a purely subjective observation: I seem to recall beginning my
adventures in alcohol with Baileys and various sweet vodka and other
fruit-and-spirits coolers (not usually consumed together, although I can't
say I recall my actions on every occasion).  When I buy my favourite
single-malt scotch these days, I see a lot of late-teens (drinking age in
Ontario is 19) purchasing a menagerie of concoctions reminding me of my
"good old days."  A lot of these folks would have a bottle of Baileys in
one hand and a 6-pack of some kind of alcoholic lemonade in the other...
yech.  My guess is, probably the big manufacturers are depending upon the
human body to do its own weaning.  I have a feeling that, after being hung
over on overly-sweet or or overly-rich drinks (or heaven forbid, both
together), younger drinkers may find beer, ale and scotch to be positively
beneficial.

As I said, this is purely subjective.

Dan Malleck

Dept of History
Queen's University

...if the truth be told, most historians work less like a scientist testing
a hypothesis than like a small boy fondling sea shells.
                Terry Parssinen, _Secret Passions, Secret Remedies_

The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.
                W.B. Yeats