ADHS Archives

March 2001

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 08:58:31 -0500
Hi everyone
I've been considering a research project that looks at the liquor
industry's response to Scientific Temperance Instruction, or at least the
"science" of temperance rhetoric.  Yet I'm finding it difficult to locate
records of this industry that would include any discussions of
temperance.  The more I delve into the secondary literature, the more I
think that we've all been so interested in temperance that aspects of the
liquor industry have been lacking.  I know that's not the case, because
there are some great works on the liquor industry out there.  But do any of
them look at the liquor industry's response to temperance, and notably STI?

Also, if anyone knows of the location of records on liquor companies in
Canada that date back to the 1880s or so, could you let me know.  And was
there some kind of liquor industry business association then?  My poor
research assistant has been losing her mind following dead ends when doing
a preliminary primary documents search, and we're both getting concerned
that there's just not much out there.

Any help would be great.

Dan

Dan Malleck, Ph.D.
Department of Community Health Sciences
Brock University
St. Catharines, Ontario

Man occasionally stumbles on the truth, but then just picks himself up
and hurries on.
                 --anon