ADHS Archives

March 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Dan Malleck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Mar 2005 09:30:03 -0500
Not that I can answer for social sciences, but I convened a group here at
Brock of "addiction" scholars--a couple psychologists, a sociologist,
and  few others--and have found this tremendously useful for my own work
and perspectives. Especially in the area of different conceptions of
addiction, and also in research methodology.  Also, about half of these
scholars research gambling, so the issues we deal with converge and diverge
in very interesting and useful ways.

Dan Malleck

At 06:59 PM 3/28/2005, you wrote:
>I benefited greatly from the responses to my last question, so I feel
>emboldened to ask a broader and more controversial question:  what can
>alcohol/drug historians learn from the social sciences?  The old, sad
>joke is that historians are a generation or two out of date in their
>borrowings from the social sciences.  What do ADHS social scientists
>think?  What would they recommend historians read?

Dan Malleck, PhD
Assistant Professor, Community Health Sciences
Brock University
500 Glenridge Ave
St. Catharines, Ontario
L2S 3A1