ADHS Archives

September 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Charles Ambler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Sep 1996 12:04:46 -0600
Re:  Connections between the slave trade and alcohol.  There is no good
study that I am aware of that deals centrally with this question.  However,
see Joseph Miller's prize winning and magisterial, WAY OF DEATH, about the
south Atlantic trade.  Re. South Africa see the introduction to my own,
LIQUOR AND LABOR IN SOUTHERN AFRICA for some hints.  On Brazil, there is
CHILDREN OF GOD'S FIRE.  Any good study of the slave trade will have
something, note for eg. the recent work of Robin Law.  Miller has also
produced volumes of slave trade bibliography which are very helpful.  Keep
in mind that the sugar-rum-slaves construction is a useful heuristic to
understand the structure of the trade, but in practice it didn't usually
work out like that.  C. Ambler, History, Univ. of Texas, El Paso