ADHS Archives

December 1998

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Aaron Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 10:12:05 -0500
Dear list members,
My name is Aaron Hoffman and I am in the second year of my Ph.D. at the
Univeristy of Aberdeen in Scotland.  My dissertation will compare the
temperance movements in Aberdeen, Scotland and Louisville, Kentucky from
1830-1860.  This spring I will be conducting research in America, mainly in
Kentucky, and was hoping I could find some information about a couple of
temperance sources.  The first is a collection of temperance material
purchased by the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  I believe this was
originally from the personal collection of a Mr. Hayler of England.  I
remember reading (I believe in an early issue of SHAR) that the collection
was to be microfilmed.  I have looked at the Wisconsin archives website and
in the Wisconsin on-line card catalogue and could not find any reference to
it.  The only microfilm temperance material I came across is from the
Goldsmiths'-Kress library of economic literature (which is a great source
for temperance material).  Does anyone know if the Hayler collection was
ever microfilmed?  Also could anyone tell me if any work has been done with
the Black collection of temperance material in the New York Public Library.
I remember reading somewhere (possibly in the old discussions of this list)
that it was not very well taken care of and was difficult to use.  I have
found several very interesting sources at the New York Public Library (from
the Aberdeen Temperance Society even) from searching OCLC's Firstsearch,
however the citation does not note if it is from the Black collection.

Thank you,
Sincerely,
Aaron Hoffman