ADHS Archives

September 1999

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"mark c. smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Sep 1999 12:57:31 -0400
Dan Mallek and Others:

A recent book that has not been mentioned that I think might be useful for
American temperance is Thomas Pegrams's <Battling Demon Rum: The Struggle
for a Dry America, 1800-1933.> (Ivan Dee: 1998)  Although I still prefer
Jack Blocker's book, Pegram's is in print and should be in paper.  Also, it
seems to me very up-to-date on American political history and the role of
temperance in political movements.  It also has the advantage of being
concise and accessible to undergraduates.

Mark C. Smith
American Studies and History
University of Texas at Austin