ADHS Archives

June 1996

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Scott Haine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Jun 1996 01:04:14 -0400
Dear Ron: I have done the same type of boo boo, as you know, I nevertheless
found your letter fascinating.  Here are some of my sources.  They should all
come through.  Perhaps we can get together this weekend?  Best wishes, Scott
    United States

   Kenneth B. Farnsworth, A Short History Of The Gravel Springs Distillery
and bottling works  (Kampsville, Ill. : Center for American Archeology,1996)

 Philip Pauly, "How Did the Effects of Alcohol on Reproduction Become
Scientifically Uninteresting?" Journal Of The History Of Biology 29 (1996):
1-28.

 William J. Sonnernstuhl, Working Sober: The Transformation of an
Occupational Drinking Culture (ILR Press, distributed by Cornell University
Press, 1996).

    What is New

 David M. Fahey's new book Temperance & Racism: John Bull, Johnny Reb, and
the Good Templars (University Press of Kentucky), 220 pages, 22 illustrations
will appear in November 1996 and will cost  $39.95,
(ISBN 0-8131-1984-7)

Haldane Palmer, a student of Ian Tyrrel, is doing research for a Ph.D. on the
Wine Industry in New South Wales.

Dwight B. Heath writes that "A large library and archive on alcohol studies
with an emphasis on Alcoholics Anonymous has been acquired by Brown
University.  A gift from Chester Kirk covered acquisition and cataloguing of
the 15,000 books, pamphlets, photographs, prints, sheet music, audio-and
videotapes that were assembled by Charlie Bishop.  The diverse material will
not be kept separate as a "special collection" but rather will be integrated
with the other holdings in the University's library system, so that
researchers will be able to use the on-line catalogue, and to find other
related materials shelved nearby."
    General

Klaus Makela et al., Alcoholics Anonymous As A Mutual-Help Movement: A Study
in Eight Societies (Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1996).

    Russia and Easter Europe

  Sergei Shakhmaev, Kabak na Rusi: pervaia pravdivaia istoriia rossiiskogo
pianstva  (Niu-Iork : Izd-vo Liberti, 1996)

  George Snow in the Supplement to the Modern Encyclopedia of Russian, Soviet
and Eurasian History "Alcohol Production in Russia," VOl I, 192-196 and
"Alcoholism in Imperial Russia," Vol I, 196-199.

 Stephen White, Russia Goes Dry. Alcohol, State and Society Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1996)

    France

Harry W. Paul, The Science Of Vine and Wine in France, 1750-1990 (New York :
Cambridge University Press, 1996)