ADHS Archives

February 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
jim baumohl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 13:31:35 -0500
folks.  having read an enormous volume of san francisco newspapers from the
mid-19th century on, i can say for certain that drunken horseback riders
were occasionally arrested in sf and outlying communities.  i don't know
whether there were ordinances against such behavior specifically, but i
doubt it.  the public drunkenness laws were sufficiently broad that more
precise legislation would not have been necessary.  i don't have this
category indexed in my notes or i would find an instance to relate.  if
evidence is vital to someone, and it can wait until the summer, i will
conduct a search.  jb