ADHS Archives

September 2005

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Jon Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Sep 2005 00:21:42 -0400
Colleagues,

I have in my collection the following "women suffrage" speech. It's
handwritten on three sheets of four by six paper. I guess that it
dates to about 1905. Its provenance is mysterious; it was given to my
mother at a postcard show some thirty years ago. It may have been
stored with a collection of turn-of-the-century tobacco cards.

I wonder if anyone recognizes it. I'm curious to know if it is an
original or a handwritten copy. The text follows.

Jon
====================

A Speech on Women Suffrage

Since the beginning of things men have been on top and women have
been held down. (Cheers)

Women have been made to submit too long, to the ups and downs in
their regulations with men. (More cheers)

The time has come to push back with all the strength and energy of
our passionate womanhood. (Fierce cheers)

We must have what men have. (More cheers)

We will insist upon it inch by inch, and every inch. (Hurrahs)

It is coming to us, and we shall have it. (Tumultuous applause)

If we cannot have it through pressure, then we will use force. (Mad yells)

If we cannot have it through our organization, openly, we will get it
through our system under cover, if necessary. (Loud cries of Bravo)

We absolutely refuse to be poked in the gallery any longer. (Grunts)
But must insist on being placed squarely on the floor of the house.
(Thunderous hand clapping)

Too long has it been the cry, "Down with the petticoats," and our
motto henceforth shall be, "Up with the petticoats, down with the
trousers, and then things will be seen in their true light."
--
Jon Miller, Asst. Prof. of English, Dept. of English, Univ. of Akron,
Akron, OH 44326-1906. office and voice mail, 1-330-972-5717.