ADHS Archives

August 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
"Bradley C. Kadel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:08:13 -0500
Sorry for being unclear.  The Licensed Grocers and Vintners protected
country publicans in petty sessions before local magistrates.  Publicans in
places like Galway and Connacht not infrequently denied services to
Protestant landlords and police, claiming that their mass of nationalist
patrons forced them to take such actions.  The vintners in Dublin sent
emissaries into the countryside to assist these publicans, gaining for
themselves significant numbers of new subscribers to their trade
association.

That's all the time I have right now.  I'd be happy to share more of my
research though.

Brad Kadel
Luther College