ADHS Archives

January 2000

ADHS@LISTSERV.MIAMIOH.EDU

From:
Ron Roizen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 10:24:38 -0800
Andrew,

Yes, one has to buy the Brewers Almanac or look at it in the library.

And yes, beer-dry certainly doesn't imply spirits-dry.  But beer-dry almost
certainly implies liquor-dry, and hence beer-dry is a good indicator of
dry-dry.

Reflecting on "how dry is a dry county" makes me recall two wonderful and
thought-provoking little papers:

Cohn, David L., "A Little Prohibition in Mississippi," The Atlantic
203:57-59, (June) 1959.

Adler, P.A., and Adler, P., "Dry With A Wink: Normative Clash and Social
Order," Urban Life n.v.a.:123-139, 1983.

Ron